Vai al contenuto della pagina-Vai al menù di secondo livello  |  
.




 

September 2008 - CA\' REZZONICO - MUSEUM OF EIGHTEENTH-CENTURY VENICE



September 2008

... near Venezia" is the new project by Fondaco that Replay is taking part in to help restore the façade of the prestigious museum.



“… near Venezia” is the new project which Fondaco, in cooperation with the Venice City Council, directs at the business people of north-eastern Italy. Leaders of successful companies are being brought in to carry out active roles of modern patrons based on innovative communication projects. Businesses and Art: a fundamental relationship for mutual enhancement, delivering a positive message. “I come from Asolo, near Venice” is the “calling card” that Claudio Buziol – founder of Replay who unfortunately died prematurely – probably used when introducing himself during his trips around the world. And like him, many other Italian business people do much the same. It's a spontaneous and user-friendly way of quickly pinpointing one's provenance with a spirit of belonging and pride. No foreign business person could be the leading light of such a valuable project. The unique nature and beauty of Venice do not fully belong to anyone else. "The love for art and for the City of Venice are deeply rooted values in our family - a passion which we have always cultivated and which we have also transferred to inside our company”, said Paola Dametto Buziol. “Being able to take part in a project that has such an artistic, cultural and historic value gives us great joy and satisfaction. It lets us continue that journey began many years ago by Claudio, who had always believed in the importance of following one's dreams, and of appreciating the beautiful things life can offer”. The bond between Fashion Box and Venice is also borne out by the fact that it is precisely here where the foundation named after Claudio has its premises. It is a foundation which the Buziol family hold very close to their hearts, for providing support to young people in realising their dreams, in developing their creative abilities and artistic expression, and in helping them find a concrete opportunity for making their life projects take concrete shape. To unite the restoration of the stone façade of Ca' Rezzonico is an important step for the company, for it allows it to place an indelible seal on the life of one of Venice's most prestigious palazzi. Once again, the artistic and cultural roots of Fashion Box are confirmed: knowing the past to fully live the present. As with all the initiatives that Fondaco has taken on, central role is taken up by historical research and the in-depth study according to the wealth and breadth of the subjects from which to draw, to create “personalized stories” in keeping with the company. This is how it has been also for Replay and Ca' Rezzonico. In 1837, one of palazzo's many rooms was home to the atelier of Domenico Brugnoli, at that time a popular artisan. He had made his name in Venice for making camicioni (baggy, flowing shirts) made out of a particular cloth similar to today's jeans. In 1888 the palazzo was bought by the English poet Robert Browning's family, which was much attached to the charming foothill village of Asolo. The village, which was already associated to Venice by its history and the Queen Cornaro story, dedicated its main street to Browning. Fondaco hopes that the example offered today by Fashion Box may be the reason for attention and stimulus for other business people of this area so that they may identify themselves in that “… near Venice” that has accompanied them on their travels. The initiative is concrete proof of the economic and cultural evolution of this part of Italy and amounts to an act of generosity towards future generations to whom, under an ethic of responsible, Venice must be handed down in better condition than that in which we found it.

History

This magnificent palace, now the Museum of Eighteenth-Century Venice, was designed by the greatest Baroque architect of Venice, Baldassare Longhena for the aristocratic Bon family, and work began on it in 1649. Longhena's death in 1682, almost at the same time as that of his noble client, together with the financial problems of the Bon family, brought work to a halt, leaving the palace incomplete. In the meantime, the Rezzonico family - originally from Lombardy - had moved to Venice and in 1687 had purchased a title. Giambattista Rezzonico, merchant and banker, bought the palace in 1751 and appointed Giorgio Massari, one of the most highly esteemed and eclectic artists of the day, to complete it. Work proceeded rapidly and in 1756 the building was finished. While the magnificent facade on the Grand Canal and the second piano nobile followed Longhena's original project, Massari was responsible for the audacious inventions towards the rear of the palace: the sumptuous land-entrance, the ceremonial staircase and the unusual grandiose ballroom obtained by eliminating the second-floor in this portion of the building. As soon as the building was completed, the most important painters in Venice were called upon to decorate it: Giambattista Crosato, who painted the frescoes in the ballroom together with the trompe l'oeil painter Pietro Visconti; Giambattista Tiepolo, who painted two ceilings in celebration of the marriage between Ludovico Rezzonico and Faustina Savorgnan; the young Jacopo Guarana and Gaspare Diziani. The building was fully complete by 1758, when Giambattista Rezzonico's younger brother, Carlo, Bishop of Padua, was elected Pope under the name Clement XIII: this was the peak of the family's fortunes and the palace at San Barnaba celebrated the event in grand style. But by 1810 - scarcely fifty years later - the family had died out. For the palace and its great heritage of art and history this was the beginning of a long, troubled period of sales and dispersions. Stripped of its furnishings, which were subdivided among the heirs and then sold, the palace passed through the hands of various owners in the nineteenth century; purchased by the English painter, Robert Barrett ("Pen") Browning, it was chosen as a residence by his father, the writer Robert Browning, who died there. It was subsequently taken over by Count Lionello Hirschell de Minerbi, a Member of the Italian Parliament, who, after lengthy and complex negotiations, sold it to the Venice Town Council in 1935.






 
 
Interface by LIBEROnline, powered by tommaso mascherin
traduzioni by Lexicon
Copyright © Fondaco S.r.l. - Palazzo Gradenigo - Santa Croce 764 - 30135 Venezia - tel +39 041 5242851 fax 041 7792403 - P.IVA 03875370268